Welcome curlies to our second newsletter, aimed at sharing with our members the very latest in curly hair news, tricks and tips! This month we are going to be taking a look at one of the essential weapons in the Curly Girl Method Club arsenal when it comes to making the most of those spirals, waves, and ringlets - the microfibre towel.
How can we make the best use of our microfibre towels in order to achieve bouncy, defined curls? What is the best towel-drying technique?...and how can a towel prevent flat roots?.......
CGM Club Reveals The Secrets Of The Microfibre Towel
At CGM Club we know the importance of using the right tools for the job when it comes to caring for our curls, and when it comes to achieving perfect wash-day results, the humble microfibre towel is right up there! So, what are some of the advantages to using one over an ordinary towel?
- Absorbs the excess water from your curls and waves without leaving them frizzy and dull
- Stops your roots from drying flat due to being weighed down by moisture while it dries
- Reduces diffusing time
- Gives better curl definition
- Helps the clumping process
At CGM Club we LOVE a microfibre towel, and we have a special place in our hearts for two in particular - the ones we stock ourselves of course! Our Plush Microfibre Hair Towel, and (my personal favourite), our Premium Waffle Hair Turban, both available in our online store now! If you’ve not used one during your curly routine before, prepare to be amazed!
Top Tips To Getting The Most From Your Microfibre Towel
- Flip your head upside down and scrunch with your microfibre towel. This will prevent your hair from sticking together at the back - particularly helpful for those with high porosity hair!
- Be sure to rotate your towel as you use it so that you are always scrunching with a dry section. This will ensure optimum excess moisture removal
- When you are scrunching work in small sections so as not to disturb your curl clumps!
- Always scrunch upwards from the midsections of your hair up to the scalp, or from the ends; again, working upwards.
How Can Using The Microfibre Towel Prevent Flat Roots?
Flat roots are often the bane of the curly girl’s life, but what if we were to tell you that there is a microfibre towel-drying technique that could help prevent that from happening?
After washing your roots tend to be flat thanks to being dragged down by the excess water in your hair, so use your microfibre towel to scrunch out as much water as you can from your mid-lengths up to your roots. Allow your hair to dry for several minutes and then scrunch your hair with your bare hands.
If flat roots is a particular problem area for you, combine this technique with these root-boosting tips:
How To Boost Root Volume
- When your hair is soaking wet apply leave-in conditioner in sections
- Make sure your hair is properly detangled - ONLY with a wide-toothed comb or with your fingers to prevent as little breakage as possible
- Take 2 or 3 curls at a time in your palm and scrunch upwards towards your scalp, follow this by scrunching your roots with your microfibre towel
- Use a pump of mousse or volumiser onto a dry section of towel and and scrunch small sections of hair at the root
- Finish by allowing hair to air dry or by diffusing
There’s a school of thought among curlies that we need to make a decision which we would rather have: volume, or definition; but here at CGM Club we don’t think we should have to compromise on either! We’ve shared our tips on how to use your microfibre towel to create lots of luscious volume, but how can we use it to get bouncy definition too?
How To Get Bouncy, Defined Curls
- Finger-coil wet your curls when they are wet or damp (we have a video tutorial on this technique here)
- Place a dry section of towel in your palm, along with 2 or 3 curls and then scrunch upwards towards your scalp
- Next, scrunch the roots with the towel
- Air dry or use your diffuser
And while we’re on the subject of microfibre towels, have you tried plopping? (no, not that sort of plopping!)....a microfibre towel is just the thing to perfect your plop!
Do YOU currently use a microfibre towel in your curly girl routine? Let us know what volume and definition techniques work for you!
The first rule of Curly Girl Method Club is TALK about Curly Girl Method Club! We love to hear your feedback, and we love it when our members help spread our message to all the curly girls of the world. Curlies, unite! Let’s embrace our uniqueness together!
See you next month with more tips, tricks, and CGM Club news.